Wednesday, January 21

PROFESSORS ARE NOT DIRECTORS

It's only been a few weeks into my last semester and I already know that my male professor isn't going to be a great fit for me. But I cannot drop the class and I cannot let him know his teaching style is inadequate. So here's a tidbit of his teaching style. He likes to direct the class on what we read in the assigned novel, and he seems like he really isn't listening fully to what each student is saying. Maybe it's just me but a teacher is not a director; a teacher is a person who helps us understand reading materials. So my class is called Contemporary American Literature and when I registered the description said: Studies significant authors, themes, and topics in American literature (c. 1945 to present) in relation to historical and intellectual developments and contemporary literary theory
I italicize the main points of this class because my professor most of the time only talked about historical and intellectual developments and rarely talked about contemporary literary theory. 

In order to take this class, each student must have taken a class prior that touches bases on each of the contemporary literary theories. I truly was excited that I'd be applying/learning the theories within each of the novels were are to read this semester. But with only two weeks in, I see no possibility of my professor helping his students see how the theories are applied within each novel. It's annoying but there really is nothing I can do. I just hope that he will pop in some theories. Until then, I will just go to class and take notes hoping those will help for the response papers within the semester. If someone ever gets in the same position of me, just drop the class and add another one. The lack of this professor's teaching will always hinder his students unless he learns to apply the theories as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment